Friday, August 16, 2013

Job Interviews and Lucky Blouses


I have one of those newfangled crackberry phones and I haven't got all the wrinkles ironed out. Like, I am forever hanging up on Dave because I can't tell the difference between connect and disconnect. Last night I broke into a cold sweat trying to add our neighbour to my list of contacts.

"It's because I'm such a technical guru," I said as my fat fingers flailed and floundered, "that I have a job interview tomorrow DOING SOCIAL MEDIA. Hahahahahaha! And I don't even know to work my FECKING PHONE."

So, yes! I had a job interview this morning. I haven't had one of those in, like, six years and I had no clue what to wear so I decided to wear the same blouse I wore on the day I "got the package" from my last company and moved out west. I get superstitious about clothes. Do you? Whenever something bad happens to me I never want to wear what I was wearing – ever again.

The package I got from work was awesome – basically a big bag of money (START THE CAR!!!!) – and it didn't hurt my feelings, getting a buyout, because I was already leaving and the package was like a nice going away present. So the blouse I was wearing was actually a good luck blouse, attracting bags of money and such, so naturally I put it on this morning. Plus it's pretty new and kinda funky and makes me look less ginormous.

I also shaved my legs. So I wouldn't stab anyone.

I was nervous about the interview, but only because I wasn't sure I really wanted to work. This summer has been the first time in 30 years that I haven't had a job, and let me tell you, it's been sweet. There's something to be said for sleeping in, drinking coffee, watching home decoration shows on TV and playing on Facebook all day. I wasn't sure I wanted to give all that up.

Turns out this is a perfect job for me. Part-time social media stuff. Uploading photos. Creating a better website. Building a better Facebook and Twitter presence. Writing. Photos. Stuff I'm good at. Most of which can be done in my pajamas in my own home. Now I hope I'm not jinxing this by writing about it before I find out if the job is mine or not. But hey, they want a social media type and surely they realize that social media types tend to burp out their every waking moments on, er, social media.

It would be nice to get the job but if I don't it's not the end of the world. There will still be coffee and Love It Or List It and time to enjoy it in the style to which I am just getting accustomed.

If I don't get it though, that blouse is going in the trash.

32 comments:

  1. I hope you get it! Get paid to socialize online? What could be better? Well, sleeping, but that doesn't bring in the cash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Isn't it perfect? Now THERE's a job for you, Ninja-man!

      Delete
  2. I hope you get the job!!! I would LOVE a sweet gig like that too. XOXO Did you remember to tweeze your chinny chin chin? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH FECK! I knew I forgot something! (So that's what they were staring at...)

      Delete
  3. They'd be crazy not to hire you, Cathy! My fingers are crossed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers crossed...and...so glad you were 'stab proof'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortuately I forgot the chin (poking interviewer in eye was not helpful).

      Delete
  5. Better hang on to that blouse; you'll be wearing it to work. Go get 'em tiger, though I'm sure they say something much more social media savvy these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They probably say GGET, because apparently nobody spells anymore...

      Delete
  6. My fingers and toes are crossed. Up, up, up... toe cramp! Good luck just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Our neighbour broke his arm last night.. does that count?

      Delete
  8. Sounds like a great job ! I hope you get it . Oh you do make me giggle thanks for that ! Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete
  9. No, no, no. That blouse is awesome. When you get the job (not if) elevate it to super lucky status. And if there are idiots on the selection panel, acknowledge that you don't want to work with those of little brain and keep the lucky status alive.
    I am a champion fence sitter/rationaliser am I not?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ideal situation - doing something you love and are obviously good at. Best of luck, we're wishing you success. The icing on the cake would be a work from home job, no travelling and Hilary too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, my goodness. Just keep being your sweet social self, and things will be just fine, even in Cold Lake, with your new job. What could be better for you? Well, yes, you could be publisher and editor of a newspaper, but we'll let you off that tangent for a couple of years.

    Blessings and Bear hugs!
    desert.epiphanies@sasktel.net
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You'll be brilliant! I love the new blog look! Very western glam!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you the best of luck. Got everything crossed for you, including my eyes. Any chance you'll massage my throbbing... toe?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good luck! My Mommeh does a similar job and she loves it! (But she has to do it at work)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that you get that P/T job Cathy...it sounds right for you (and the blouse will be spared its fate in the trash). I've loved your last few posts...it seems to me that you are in fine comedic form these days. Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...