Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Pickles, Sad Stories and Fresh Air

Everyone has a sad story lurking behind their normal exterior. I talked about this with my new neighbour, who kindly brought over an armload of homemade preserves this afternoon. Beet pickles, canned cherries, bread and butters – I can't wait to dive in and try something tonight at supper.

She brought preserves, I offered her a glass of ice water (hardly a fair trade) and we shared some of our darkest secrets. Do you do that with someone you just met? Um, yeah. If you're willing to show the world your underwear in a blog it's no biggie to swap secrets with someone over a cup of joe. Conversation, after all, is just live-action blogging.

I like our neighbours. As a matter of fact, I am liking everything about Cold Lake. The air here is so fresh. So cool. It's like the man upstairs just had a breath mint and he's spitting at us.

My friends and relatives back in Ontario and the eastern seaboard are sweltering under record high temperatures and every time I talk to them on the phone all I can do is gush about how cool and fresh everything is here. "The air," I say, over and over ad nauseam, "the air is so FRESH. Did I mention how FRESH it is?" I'm pretty sure I have no friends left in Ontario but I can't help it. Every day I marvel at the lack of humidity, the brilliant blue skies and the FRESH pepperminty breezes cooling my skin.

Our asthmatic cat has never been healthier. He hasn't thrown up since we got here (knock on wood) and he's positively kittenish, prancing around the house, breathing like a regular cat instead of an old hag cat with an oxygen bottle, a wheelchair, and a lifetime addiction to Player's Plain.

This morning we had a visit from a neighbour's cat. He didn't come bearing preserves but he seemed friendly as he was peering in our front window. I don't know for sure that he's male but he was, after all, peeping, and so Tom he is.

As for sad stories, I'm sure Tom will have much to tell his catified cronies – his peeping career at our front window came to an abrupt end when Misty the Wonderdog chased him off the front porch.

Just another day at Cold Lake. No, I don't have pictures to show you. The camera thing-a-ma-jig is in the trailer somewhere and I'm too lazy to go get it. And no, I haven't come up with a new blog title yet. (The pressure, the pressure...)

22 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad you have a good neighbour

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could use some fresh air! You seem to have great neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we all have sad stories, but most of us also have some magic tucked away in the memory reservoirs too. (Which is just as well).
    I loved hearing about your cool fresh air, and the image of fresh mint spits has me smiling loudly. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are settling in and making friends. I hate humidity. Wish I was there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We could do with some of that cool air here in tge UK - 32C!!!!!!!!!! & just a couple of weeks ago we were all wearing jumpers and grumbling about thr rain.....

    Glad to see you're making friends with the natives, Cathy - any more thoughts on your new blog-title? How about 'Clueless in Cold Lake' ? ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wouldn't mind a day or two of your cooler temps.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? No link to the underwear post? *sheesh*

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you're rather pleased, but don't even be changing this blog title to "Nah nah nah na nah nah!"

    In believe I said it already, but, again, welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that you are settling in so well there! I'm sure you'll be singing a different tune about the fresh icy cold wind this winter. lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can't see me, but after reading your post, I'm sitting on your dock (you DO have one, you know, whether or not you actually do) and swishing my bare feet in the cold water. Ahhhhh......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was just wondering about a new title, and am now envious of your fresh minty air!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm relieved this didn't turn to be some destructive episode. It sounds like you have some positive neighbors, and I'm glad the cat is doing better.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like a delightful spot you have landed in. Hope the winter isn't too foul, but it might be worth it for the summer! I loved it--peeing Tom. :D
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY!!!! You're there and making friends already!!! Whooohoooo!!! I'm very jealous of your preserves though, I loves me some pickled beets! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good that the cat's feeling better.

    Poor tom cat, getting chased off by the hound...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh! New blog names? How about "So fresh you could slap it"?
    Just thinking...
    ~Just Jill

    ReplyDelete
  17. Conversation: live-action blogging. That has a certain ring to it. Glad you are finding Cold Lake such a refreshing place. Even if you have a Peeping Tom.

    "Life at the Cold Lake." Well, that would be an "interesting choice" for a title. And you would be nothing if not consistent.

    Blessings and Bear hugs in your new surroundings, with your new friend(s)!
    Bears Noting
    Life in the Urban Forest (poetry)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoy your new adventure.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
  19. Poor old Tom. I'm sure he'll be pack with a cunning plan to get his revenge on Misty the Wonderdog! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think you've come up with the perfect name for your blog in the last paragraph. Just Another Day at Cold Lake..... Glad you and the animals are settling in, Cathy. Dave must be happy you're finally there.

    karen

    ReplyDelete
  21. We had rain here in San Diego!! Cooler days are a blessing. Enjoy the days with your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  22. YAY! Sounds like you are settling in just fine. So glad to hear it! And man could I use a dose of that "fresh air" about now. We are inhaling nothing but humidity here at the Jersey Shore and I'm feeling a bit like your cat. Old and asthmatic.

    I just love neighbors that come bearing gifts- especially food. If you feed me, that pretty much solidifies the birth of an ever lasting friendship!

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...