Friday, March 23, 2012

My surprise!


If you don't have a Dave in your life, you should get one. I love mine to bits.

There are a million reasons why, but one is he likes to surprise me. Last night I came home from my Muskoka Writter Wimmen meeting and there was a new PURSE on my pillow!

I've been needing a new purse for months and was mad at Dave around Christmastime when I tried to buy one and he talked me out of it. I figured there was going to be one under the Christmas tree and was cheesed off when there wasn't. I mean, my old purse was falling apart! A new one was WAY overdue.

Turns out he had ordered one from his sister's husband, Zane Holden, who is a leather artist. He had asked for it some time ago but Zane was busy (he's so talented, it's no wonder) and didn't get a chance to finish it until recently. Zane had called our house a few times lately, ostensibly because he had car problems, and last night Dave told me he was going up north to visit his mom. What REALLY was going on was Zane was calling to say the purse was ready and Dave was going to pick it up. Sneaky beggars!

With some help from his wife Carol and daughter Aliceandra, Zane carves the leather, paints it, then stitches it together to create wallets, purses, key chains – you name it, he does it. And he can carve whatever you like. Wildlife, hot cars, pictures of your kids, pictures of your Aunt Molly, pictures of your arse.... you get the idea. A while back Zane made me a wallet which I haven't been able to use because my old purse wasn't big enough for it! Yet another reason I wanted a new one!

So THANKS to Zane for all his hard work. The purse is BEAUTIFUL and I LOVE it!

And thanks to you, dear sweet loveable SNEAKY Dave for such a happy surprise!

oxoxo

This is the wallet Zane made me!
On this side is a butterfly, roses and trilliums, Ontario's provincial flower.
In the photo at the top is my new purse. The birds are cedar waxwings,
such beautiful creatures. 

The other side of my wallet – I'm a cat lover, can you tell? 

"There are so many new SMELLS in this purse!" Misty takes a good sniff of
my present. I hope she doesn't decide to chew it!

17 comments:

  1. That purse is absolutely gorgeous! I love it. It's super retro chic. And it looks like it can hold lots of stuff. The wallet is also pretty cool.

    For the record, I have a Dave in my life, but he's my PITA little brother. Not all Daves are equal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS retro, isn't it! Suddenly I have a need for some bell bottoms and a vest with a fringe!
      My little brother is a PITA, too. Pity...

      Delete
  2. What a talented man. Gorgeous work. And that Dave--he's a keeper, me thinks ;^) Peace...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautiful purse. And Cedar Waxwings too!
    Zane certainly is talented. Lucky you to get such a lovely surprise gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am lucky. Deb, may I say again how much I miss your blog? I miss your blog. Deb? I miss your blog. Miss. Your. Blog. Deb.

      Delete
  4. I love this purse. You can't find stuff like this nowadays or at least I can't.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is gorgeous. (and so is Dave)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep the dog Away From The Purse! Fresh leather, are you kidding me? She'll maul it beyond recognition. Gorgeous purse - love hand-made things like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just joined in via CQG's bloffee, and thanks for the comment on my blog. I read a few posts here and looks like we have a lot in common...2 kids, cats, a wood stove (but you do all your own splitting, respect! I cheat :)

    I don't think I'd look right with a purse, but the artwork is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Where can I get a Dave, and what colors do they come in?

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so pretty! I especially love all the effort your husband took in arranging the surprise for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is one beautiful piece of leatherwork! Are those cedar waxwings on the purse? Whatever the bird, the whole thing is gorgeous. Now, that for sure had to be great to come home to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well Cathy, that purse, er 'handbag' was worth waiting for wasn't it? Sneaky, sweet Dave. He must be a wonderful man! And he's all yours!

    Denise

    ReplyDelete

How's it going, eh? It's SO good to hear from you. Tell me every darn thing...